Pages

Search Ratttler

Sunday, April 16, 2006

SLIPPED UP AGAIN

We're discussing racism and the Republican Party in 2 Way tonight. I know, I know, I do repeat myself. But Virginia_1776 and MrArchieBunker have been desperately scrambling to cover up the Nixonian Southern Strategy, whereby the Republicans plotted to wrest the South from Democratic control after the Civil Rights Act by appealing to Southern white racism. Hell, Reagan continued the tradition by appealing to state's rights (code for segregation) in the very Mississippi town where three civil rights workers were burned. Willie Horton anyone?

Now, Virginia is from Alabama, so her love for her home is washing her reason right out to sea. I told her that Republicans were appealing to southern bigotry to win elections. This is true, and was the main factor in the 2004 reelection (anti-gay bigotry was the fashionable color that year). Virg insisted that I had said ALL southern whites were racist, but I corrected her and said I was only referring to those that were, in fact, racist. What followed was a hilarious verbal gaffe by MrArchieBunker. He charged up to the mic on his valiant steed and unsheathed his mighty sword to strike a blow in defense of his maiden fair. He insisted that I had said ALL southerners were racist. I told him that isn't what I said at all. And this was his response:

"Claus, what exactly you said is not really irrelevant..."

What's that again? Not really IR-relevant? That means relevant, doesn't it? How cute is that. Arch's mind wandered for a split second, and his mouth said what he was really thinking. The issue of what EXACTLY was said is actually quite relevant, as Arch's little verbal accident proves. I appreciate the defense against Virginia's lies, Arch. Good to know you've got my back.

Virginia made an even funnier mistake when she was harpying me over segregation. Never mind that the girl doesn't even know enough to distinguish between Jim Crow legal segregation, and segregation due to urban effects and social policy. Check out what she actually said:

"Claus, you live in the most segregated nation in the country!"

I live where? Notice how, even as Virg tries to push segregation off as only a northern problem, (how stupid is that, by the way) her brain gets tangled up and she says what she's REALLY thinking. Priceless. Even at this moment, she is gritting her teeth and trying to make a go on this segregation trip she's on. Talk about missing the point. Oh man, I love it. She just said this:

"Of COURSE there is racism in the south. There were SLAVES in the south. DUH!"

Glad you noticed. Now take a look at how Republicans have exploited that racism, and we'll have this all sorted.

UPDATE - Now this has me rolling on the floor. Ok, not literally. The floor is dirty now. Anyways, Virginia_1776 cannot get enough of the Freudian slippage. I explained to her that Republicans use appeals to bigotry to win elections, moving from race hatred, to religious hatred to gay hatred. So, Virginia wanted to counter me by mocking what the Dems say. Get a load of what she said:

"Oh, Claus, the Dems use the same accusations as the Republicans: 'The Democrats are making huge deficits, the Democrats want to take money from the elderly and kids, The Dems want to take away a woman's right to choose...'"

Did you notice that, kids? Virginia wanted to say that the Dems say THE REPUBLICANS do all those bad things, but notice how her mind betrayed her, and she instead got "confused." Yet another Freudian slip proves what Virginia is really thinking. When thinking of which party fearmongers, she can only think of the Republicans.

JC

0 comments:

Pageviews